Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Recap

Hudson received his IV fluids, and was good as new!  As far as the strange button issue, Jake finally was able to vent out a little air from the button, and it loosened up and wasn't sitting so tight against his skin.  We were then able to deflate the balloon and just replaced the whole thing.  After receiving fluids, he was able to tolerate his formula and we were able to go home!  Shortest admission ever!  Jake and I could not believe how good he looked after receiving fluids, his eyes were brighter and he didn't look so puny. 

A few days later, on Mother's Day, I went in to get him in the morning and discovered Hudson's button laying next to him, balloon intact.  We figured it had been out around 15 hours at that point.  I tried to get it back in and couldn't, so we headed to the ER in Houston.  We were worried that the hole had closed up, but the awesome ER doctors used a little tool to stiffen up the button and poked it in.  They gave me some to use in case it happened again, the tool was just a Q-tip with a long wooden stick.  Glad to have those to use at home!

Yesterday was a frustrating day.  After many phone calls and emails back and forth to his mito dr., we have decided to get a consult on his cardiology situation from Children's Medical Center in Dallas.  She recommended that we do so, for many complicated reasons that I won't lay out in their entirety here.  I'll just say that there is a lot of disagreement and opinions over what is the right thing to do.  By getting an outside opinion, we will have a better grasp on the situation and can hopefully come to a decision that ultimately is the best for Hudson and his health.

As for the most current news, Hudson is really struggling with hydration.  Even with his full formula intake, he is not staying as well hydrated as he needs to.  We are going to run Pedialyte through his G-tube in addition to his feeds to see if this helps the situation.  The problem, and the reason why Hudson can't take any free water, is that his stomach can only handle a certain volume, and then the awful retching begins.  When he retches badly, we have to drain his stomach, so whatever we put in comes back out anyway.  Please pray that we can come up with a good solution for this, and that the appointment in Dallas gives us clear answers as to what to do about Hudson's heart. 

4 comments:

  1. You're an amazing mother! We'll be praying that the Dallas doctor knows what Hudson needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you are able to find a balance in order to keep Huddy hydrated without causing the retching.
    I hope the doctors can figure out what to do about his heart.
    Thanks for listening to me yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I've missed a lot. I'm glad to hear things have settled down a little for you guys. I do have a quick question for you...how do you know when Hudson needs oxygen (other than he looks like he doesn't feel well)? Do his sats drop? We've been watching Reagan's sats and as long as she's awake (and upright), her sats stay up in a decent range. I'm just wondering if there are times that she would benefit from oxygen, even though her sats are OK? Reagan still has that problem with holding her urine. She just had a renal scan the other day and it was normal. They have no clue why she does it, but it doesn't seem like she's dehydrated...just holding it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that the second opinion makes the best choice about the surgery (or not) clear! It certainly sounds like a difficult choice. As for the hydration, if he can't tolerate enough fluids in his stomach to keep hydrated, it might be time for a GJ tube. J feeds will hopefully be tolerated much better, and allow you to keep him hydrated and out of the hospital. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete