Wednesday, January 26, 2011

MCT Oil

So...Hudson failed the MCT oil trial. He lasted a whole six days on it. I noticed that he was starting to get very lethargic, sleepy, and his appetite was poor. At first I thought he was getting sick, but when no illness ever appeared, I emailed his mito doctor to ask what were the side effects of the MCT oil I should be looking for. The response I got immediately was, STOP THE MCT OIL - those are the side effects! We were instructed to go to the ER if the symptoms of acidosis got worse that night, and to give them an update in the morning on his condition.

It was a pretty sleepless night, Hudson was out, but I stayed up watching his heart rate on the pulse ox machine for a while. It was going crazy! He was fast asleep, but his rate would go down to the 80s, where the alarm is set to sound, and then within seconds it would shoot up into the 100s. I've certainly never seen it do that before, but didn't really know if it warranted an ER visit. By mid-morning he was looking much more like himself, playful, more energy, eating better. I'm glad we stopped it when we did. It's not entirely surprising to me that he failed the trial, what med has he not had a weird reaction to at this point?

No comments:

Post a Comment