A few days ago Hudson had a hydrogen breath test. This test checks for bacterial overgrowth in the intestines, which his GI thinks could be the root of some of his current GI issues. Hudson was pretty funny. The test is relatively simple, all you have to do is blow into a mouthpiece and fill up the attached bag with air. Problem is, Hudson doesn't really follow commands.
The nurse asked if I thought he would blow into it, to which I replied no. She wanted to try anyway. Ok lady, go for it. She asked him if he wanted to blow into it and handed him the mouthpiece. Hudson touched the mouthpiece, poked it a little, and then politely pushed it back to her, as if to say, I'm done with this now, thank you. So she had to hook a little mask onto the bag that covered his nose and mouth, I pinned him to the bed, she placed the mask over him, and every time he screamed, the bag filled up! We did this 3 times, and then it was over. Not too bad. Hopefully we'll get the results soon.
Huddy's most recent drama is that the anti-blow valve on his G-button keeps blowing! When you put things like formula or meds into the G-button, they're supposed to stay in and not come back out. Hudson's button lately has periodically been leaking formula and meds out, as well as air. When I say leaking, I mean like running down his leg leak. I'm also having a really hard time pushing his meds in, there's a ton of resistance and it just all blows back at me. We do vent out the air in his tummy all through the day, so the pressure in his stomach shouldn't be that much. The GI nurse said they do see this in their kids with bad motility, and that changing the button wouldn't help, because as long as the button isn't leaking all the time, the valve is technically still working, just not when his stomach pressures get too great. So frustrating. These new GI issues are really keeping us on our toes.
Next week is full of lots of doctor appointments, I'll update with anything new. Tonight I sit here a little jealous because Jake is at the Cotton Bowl and I've got 3 kiddos to handle all by myself! They're being snuggly tonight though, so we'll watch the game cuddled up in bed. Sounds good to me!
Friday, January 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


We have this same problem with the pressure from the stomach causing leaks. Its only getting worse. Nobody can tell us what to do and the ferral bags didn't work. There was much pressure that they just kept coming detached.
ReplyDeleteAlso while in the hospital one time she had so much pressure it broke two pumps. Everyone said they had never seen that happen. Right now we get about 540 cc give or take a little of air every few hours out of her tummy.
I hope they can figure that out for him. Please post if you find anything that works.
Thank you! It's nice to know we aren't the only ones having this problem. I tried the Farrell bags too, and didn't see any difference either. I've run out of ideas!
ReplyDelete