Saturday, November 27, 2010

Immunology Update

Hudson recently saw Dr. P., his immunologist.  She follows him because he has a lowered immune system and doesn't retain the titers to his vaccines well, so she gets labs from him every few months.  We haven't seen her in a few months, and I think we had a pretty productive appointment.  She walked in and asked, "So how has Hudson been?  What's been happening with him?"  I said I thought he was doing pretty good, and then went into his medical history since we'd last seen her.  A few hospital stays, a GI system that is going wacky, absorption and clotting issues, a crazy neurogenic bladder, and now he can't poop without medications.  Halfway through, she says, I thought you said it was going pretty good??  Ha, it's all relative I guess.

So Dr. P. wants to do a sleep study on Hudson.  We're scheduled to see the doctor for this next Wednesday.  She says that with mito kids it's all about energy conservation.  Dr. P. wants to see if he's desatting or having any apneas at night, because if his body is working extra hard to get enough oxygen, that makes his other organ systems have to compensate, and with mito kids, there's just not enough energy to go around.  This means that their body systems don't work as well as they could.

I think the sleep study will definitely be interesting.  He's never had one, but I know there's a lot of leads and attachments involved, so I'm not sure how well he'll sleep with all that.  Here's hoping it goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment